What does bilaterally hypertrophied nasal turbinates mean?

ENT Specialist
What it mean if my nasal turbinates are prominent bilaterally?
I should probably add that my septum is deviated to the right, but I wasn't told by how much.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Bilaterally hypertrophied nasal turbinates lead to nasal stuffiness and obstruction.

2. These are normal structures on the lateral (side) walls of the nasal cavity with several important functions. A DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum) is very common, and it leads to turbnate hypertrophy which reduces the nasal airflow.

3. If you can share your CT images (not the report), I will be able to give you an accurate assessment.

4. It is difficult to justify a septoplasty at the age of 53, however, Radio-frequency ablation of the nasal turbinates will relieve any obstruction by the nasal turbinates easily.

5. I usually get a pre and post de-congestion CT done with decongestant nasal drops such as Xylometazoline (Otrvin) to see whether the nasal turbinate reduction will help.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.