What does an inflamed lump at the top of the neck area indicate?

I had my breast removed a couple of months ago due to breast cancer. Now I find an inflamed lump about about 2 to 3 inches from my right ear at the top of the neck area or the head. This is the same side the breast cancer was on. I shaved enough of my hair so I could see the lump and it is red and hard. Could this be cancer.?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. First off, I am sorry to hear that you were recently diagnosed with cancer. The lump you describe likely represents an inflamed lymph node. It would be very reasonable to bring this to the attention of your doctor at your earliest convenience. Enlarged lymph nodes can happen for many different reasons and only a physical examination with possible tissue examination can definitively diagnose the cause. Again, thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found this helpful and that you will bring it up with your doctor. I wish you good health in the new year. Sincerely, Dr. G