What does an abnormal spike in electrophoresis scan indicate?

I had iron deficiency anemia-Hemaglobin 7.7. My creatinine went fro 2.4 to 1.7. Doctors suspected internal bleeding from blood thinner Eliquis. No evidence of this. Since taking iron supplement and transfusion my H is up to 10.6 and my creatinine is 1.4. My hematologist wanted to rule out multiple Meyloma. The results from a protein electrophoresis scan sowed an abnormal spike too small to quantify and the immunofixation showed no monoclonal protein. Do these results rule out MM?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: thank you for sending the question. I can appreciate that you experienced some degree of bleeding while you were taking the blood thinner. sometimes there can be some bleeding even though the doctors cannot see it when they use a special scope to look inside. This is why sometimes will use a special camera that you can swallow to look inside your intestines. regarding a protein. The test you had performed essentially decreases the likelihood that you have multiple myeloma. This test needs to be checked again in about three months to see if there is any trend. If your doctor suspects that you might have some type of abnormal protein in your bone marrow a bone marrow biopsy is indicated. If the bone marrow is completely negative that is the final test which helps to eliminate the possibility of myeloma. I can appreciate that you have experienced a very stressful recent change in your general health. I want you to know that we are here to continue to listen to you and work with you on improving the knowledge regarding your medical conditions as this will continue to help you maintain confidence in maintaining optimal health in the future. please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance. Dr. G
Follow-up: What does an abnormal spike in electrophoresis scan indicate? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. G, I'm not sure I understand your answer regarding the abnormal protein. The immunofixation test stated that there was no monoclonal protein(abnormal protein). if the next test states the same, isn't that a positive trend suggesting no MM?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: This is correct. The follow-up test will help further support the fact that there is no evidence of myeloma. is important that you understand what myeloma actually is. Myeloma is a situation where significant amounts of abnormal protein accumulate in the body. There are each Wastance however where someone might have what we call pre-myeloma where the protein level is only mildly elevated. in your case I don't even think you have pre-myeloma taste on the test results. Lastly, it is important to just get interval testing to make sure we are correct in our current conclusions. I hope this was more clear for you. If you have additional specific questions I would be happy to review those with you as well. Dr. G