What does abdominal indentations on the surface of the right lower abdomen indicate?

Aug 2012

Hello doctor, what can abdominal indentations on the surface of the right lower abdomen indicate? A nurse felt a small mass in the RLQ of my father's abdomen a few weeks ago, and now he actually has what looks like a large dimpling of his abdomen (not too far from the belly button). The mass does not hurt when palpated, but bruising was seen in the area soon after the nurse pressed on it. His abdomen also looks distended and he is short of breath. He has had a lot of trouble with bowel movements and often complains of rectal discomfort.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 4 hours later

What you have described here seems like fibrosis (hardening of the tissue underneath) of the intraabdominal tissues which are pulling the skin down making it dimpled.
This might have been caused due either to the gastric surgery in the past or due to the spinal surgery whereby his bowels and bladders are not functioning on their own and the tissue are acting as non-functioning elements in the abdomen causing the fibrosis of themselves. And hence the rectal compaints are also coming up.
So please see a good physician or gastroenterologist for this, one Ultrasound abdomen will immediately help one understand the nature of the tissues around the mass and dimple, the reason of distension of abdomen and they'll see if the breathlessness is part of his CHF or due to the excess fluid in the abdomen or due to any progressing fibrosis of other tissues like lungs.
For sure, you should not wait for long.
I hope this guides you to take further steps. please let me know if any other help you need for this.