What does a white patch behind the ear indicate?

Discovered a white patch behind my aunts ear as if the my skin was bleached, accompanied with a sore. What could it be?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: White patch behind ear Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic, The depigmented patch behind the ear looks like leukoderma / vitiligo. Usually vitiligo lesions do not have a sore. Is there a sore and scaling of skin behind the other ear as well ? Does she have dandruff ? Does she use hair XXXXXXX ? If she has dandruff or allergy to hair color then the sore can be due to that. I will recommend you to see a dermatologist. An early lesion of vitiligo can be treated well with topical steroids or tacrolimus and anti oxidants. Hope this helped, Take care
Follow-up: What does a white patch behind the ear indicate? 17 minutes later
She does use hair XXXXXXX but for years now.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Vitiligo Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back, Hair XXXXXXX is known to cause chemical leukoderma, even years after starting. I will recommend her to stop hair XXXXXXX application. For existing vitiligo let her see a dermatologist for initiation of treatment. If I were her treating dermatologist, I would have started her on oral anti oxidants daily along with topical tacrolimus 0.1% ointment twice a day. Hope this helped, Take care.