What does a white lump with black center on the labia minor indicate?

I have a white lump with a black in the center it is located on the labia minor on the right side near the top. I am very concerned & am seeing a dr. next week, but wanted an opinion because I am so nervous about. I have had lump for a few years & it has gotten bigger. I have shone it to my dermatologist a few times. She said it was a tag or a cyst. I am a snow bird in Az and am seeing another dr next week-am worried about cancer. What do you think? Thanks
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please do not be alarmed with this presentation Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I can understand how you can easily get worried about cancer and tumors at this age, but before assuming this to be something serious, I would like you to know that more often than not, a presentation similar to yours is something simple, which with accurate treatment can easily be resolved. I agree with your first doctor about this possibly being a cyst or skin tag, but it would be better to test the tissue sample in the laboratory just to make sure this is nothing serious. I would also like to list some of the most common causes for such a presentation out for you, they are: -Cysts (Bartholin's or Skene's duct cysts) -Fox Fordyce (or other sweat glands that can get clogged) -Infections (if your presentation resembles a skin tag, then a sexually transmitted infection called Human Papilloma Virus should be ruled out) -Sexually transmitted infections (eg. Herpes, HPV, and various other STDs can present in such a manner) -Viral infections (Molluscum contagiosum) -Regular skin tags and a few other harmless conditions which are absolutely nothing to worry about. From the above list, the only slightly worrying condition would be the infection HPV which predisposes to cancer, but with effective treatment that also can be avoided. Do visit your doctor and request for an elaborate evaluation ma'am. But I am sure you will be more than fine and this is nothing serious. May God be with you in every step. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.