What does a tender sore spot on the calf indicate?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have a sore spot on my left calf. It is tender to the touch but it does not hurt when I walk. There does not appear to be any swelling. Just sore in that one spot.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Clinical examination and imaging required Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. The sore spot on the calf can be due to many reasons. It can be due boil, folliculitis, adnexal tumor, or any cause. You need to consult your physician for clinical examination of the lesion. Imaging of the calf may be required. If a firm lesion is found clinically or on imaging, an aspiration cytology of the lesion may be required. This investigation will sample the cells of the lesion. The cells aspirated are spread on slide and stained with appropriate stain to look for the origin and character of the lesion. Further management will be decided by the origin and character of the lesion. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal