What does a swollen mass on cheek when suffering from sinusitis indicate?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I have what feels like a roll of cotton under my right cheek. This runs under my right nostril working its way back to about mid cheek. I don't notice a swelling externally but it does feel like a tightness/swelling internally. These are my symptoms currently. Now for some past history. Last February I noticed what seems to be a swelling under/behind my right cheek not severe just feels like the skin is tight. I had dental extractions done last year and there are no teeth in the area of the swelling. I went to the dentist to see if I might have an abscessed tooth. They took xrays and saw no signs of abscess. He did notice a darkness in the sinus cavity area on the back side of one tooth which is in the area of the swelling . He thought maybe it could be sinus related. I didn't seem to have any drainage discharge - no fever etc. On a follow up visit to my GP he prescribed a CT scan. The scan came back and the indication - SINUSITUS ACUTE. The tightness/swelling feeling seems to be near or in my right lower cheekbone where it meets the upper back teeth in the back. The report mentions that there is mucosal thickness in the left maxillary sinus and also a 8mm cyst. I had a course of antibiotics but it never really made a difference. So I ignored tightness. Five months ago I had dental extractions and all of my upper teeth on the right side were removed up to the 2 front teeth. I had some swelling due to the extractions - typical but now I am at the point where I began -I have what feels like a roll of cotton under my right cheek. This runs under my right nostril working its way back to about mid cheek. I don't notice a swelling externally but it does feel like a tightness/swelling internally. I went back the Oral Surgeon about 1 month after the extractions as the swelling was not getting better. He said to think of if as if I was punched in the mouth - its probably a hematoma ( I see nothing external). He said there were no infections. Well its been 5 months and this tightness/swelling feeling seems to be getting larger /tighter - more noticeable when I workout or get excited as its filling up with blood? So the question is what could this be? Scar tissue? Some sort of mass (trapped blood) ? Thanks - XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: could be sinus related Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and it is my opinion from your history that you may have a sinus problem which is typical after any dental extraction involving the upper tooth. In any case it may be pertinent for you to do these so that you may get some relief: - Do steam inhalation at least two to three times in a day with menthol and see if there is any change in the swelling or your odd feeling -Take a course of antihistamine like levocetrizine in consultation with your doctor and you will definitely feel better -Hydrate yourself properly as even dehydration especially after work out may cause this problem -In any case since your previous CT was done before the dental procedure and even then there was evidence of sinusitis albeit minimal, I would advice you to take a repeat CT of the nose and sinuses and get back to me or any ENT with the reports. -The CT scan will also rule out any local lesions so you can be rest assured that everything is fine -Any condition like hematoma or soft tissue lesion or scar tissue can be easily delineated by the CT -You must also schedule an endoscopic examination of the nose and sinuses with an ENT which will also reveal valuable insights of the problem In summary get a repeat scan and if you have any more doubts I will be more than happy to help regards Dr Sriram Nathan