What does a swollen lump on jaw indicate?

ENT Specialist
Hello I have a small lump on the right side in my groin area. It has been there for a few weeks now. I also have an area on the right side of my jaw that is swollen as well. I'm not feeling really bad, I have been having some stomach issues lately. And a little tired. I called my gynecologist and informed him of the lump in my groin area, he told me to watch it for a few weeks and if no changes then he wants me to see a surgeon. I also told my general doctor and he told me just to watch it. I don't know what to do? Any advice would be most helpful. I'm a female 53 years young. I have had a hysterectomy but still have my ovaries. Should I be concerned with this issue? Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do not worry ,wait and watch Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The swelling could be because of enlarged lymph node. The node might be because of some infections in the neighbouring structures.That is why your doctor asked you to watch if it increase then you will require medicines . Normally body fights against these infections, if not able to do so then antibiotics need to be taken. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: What does a swollen lump on jaw indicate? 32 minutes later
I don't have any infections? And it is an enlarged lymp node. I guess I will just keep watching it as u suggested.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: not necessarily have infection Detailed Answer: Hello, I am not saying you have infections. But before the infection becomes symptomatic the nodes get enlarged, or we can say that the enlarged lymph node is first sign of infection. Regards
Follow-up: What does a swollen lump on jaw indicate? 11 hours later
Ok thank you I will just wait and see. If the lump stays the same size in the groin area in the next 3 weeks I don't need to bother seeing and doctor, correct.
Brief Answer: very true Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes you can approach in this way. Regards,