What does a swollen bruise that covers the top of the hand indicate?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have a bruise that covers the top of my hand and it is swollen. It seems to respond somewhat to a cold compress, but it continues to grow. It is not painful but is worrying anyway.
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of expanding haematoma or infection Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I would like to have some additional information before I give the advise regarding your concern 1. How long has the bruise been present? 2. Did it occur following trauma or spontaneously? 3. Is there any discolouration or break in overlying skin? 4. Is there any difficulty in movement of hand? I have many patients presenting with similar complaints. In case of hand as the haematoma is deep seated possibility of expanding haematoma or infection cannot be ruled out. Do get back to me with the detail. Providing clinical photograph would be much appreciated. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon

Follow-up: What does a swollen bruise that covers the top of the hand indicate? 13 hours later
To answer your questions: haematoma has been present for 24 hours; hit my hand on the back of a wooden bench; there is considerable discolouration but no break in skin; there is no difficulty in movement. I'm not sure how to send a picture.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Traumatic Haematoma is self limiting Detailed Answer: Greetings It's traumatic haematoma and is unlikely to be associated With fracture as the movements are not painful and restricted. Haematoma is self limiting and should resolve. Cold compress and anti- inflammatory like ibuprofen may be helpful. It's also important to give adequate rest yo hand. You can send the picture in the image uploader available in the website or alternatively you can mail it to YYYY@YYYY and subject as Attention Dr Deepak Kishore Kaltari There is no cause for concern. If the trauma was very severe and you develop severe pain then it's advisable to get an X ray of hand done to rule out fracture. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon