What does a small soft bump on upper outer lip,suggest?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a small soft bump on my upper outer lip. On the red part. It just appeared out of no where but has not gone away for about a week. Has not changed. Not sore. Not rough or scalie.Soft. Not peeling. Does not bleed. It's not a canker or a cold sore... I have had those b4 and I can tell. What could it be??
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: blocked gland Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. There are many sebaceous glands on and around the lips. This lesion can be a blocked sebaceous gland. Can you please upload a photograph of the lesion. This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis. Waiting for your response. Thank you

Follow-up: What does a small soft bump on upper outer lip,suggest? 27 minutes later
Attached... It looks round... The light makes it look pearlie but it isn't.., it is the color of my lip.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: sebaceous cyst Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the photograph. Its looking like a sebaceous cyst. A cyst formed due to collection of skin debris. I would like to know if any material comes out when you press it ? Please don't penetrate it, this may cause infection. Waiting for your response. Thank you

Follow-up: What does a small soft bump on upper outer lip,suggest? 2 hours later
How do you get rid of it??

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer: minor surgery Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. Only treatment for this is surgical removal. A small surgery lasting 10 min would be enough to remove it. Please meet a dermatologist and get it removed. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: What does a small soft bump on upper outer lip,suggest? 1 hour later
Hi, no, nothing comes out when I press it. I had a surgery on a tiny plugged salivary gland in my mouth and my lip is still numb a year later so will likely avoid surgery unless it gets bigger which it hasn't. I don't enjoy the numbness as sometimes I still bite my lip! :(

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Apply mupirocine Detailed Answer: Hello you can get some benefit by application of an antibacterial cream like mupirocine. At least it will prevent infection. Please dont pierce, let it reduce on its own. Thank you