What does a small projection at the anus opening indicate?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am having a small projection (around 1 cm) near the opening of the anus. I am able to touch it when I sit / when I am washing after defecating. I have burning sensation around this projection.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please see the details Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). This may be anal tag, hemorrhoid, malignancy or wart. So I will advise you to visit a Gastroenterologist and Dermatologist. They may take a detail history and examine you. Meanwhile what you should do which I found very useful in my patients are: 1.Avoid coffee, cola, or chocolates, dairy products,citrus fruits, beer. 2.modify your cleansing habits that is stop polishing (rubbing while cleaning) anus 3.Wipe it gently with wet facial tissue or baby wipes 4.Avoiding soap and a washcloth in the shower and use plain water and hand to wash the perineum in the tub or shower. 5.Creams or emulsifying ointments may be used instead of soap. 6.Perfumed soaps and astringents (such as witch hazel) should be avoided. 7.Tissue paper or a cotton ball placed by the anus and changed several times a day will absorb moisture and create a drier environment. 8. A diet high in fiber with plenty of fluids I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you do not have any further query , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: What does a small projection at the anus opening indicate? 3 minutes later
The projection has appeared suddenly over the past few days. Its has appeared before as well. But over a period of time disappears.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may be skin tag, hemorrhoid or wart Detailed Answer: If it has spontaneously resolved earlier then it may be skin tag, hemorrhoid or wart. So I will advise you to get examined yourself. I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you do not have any further query , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.