What does a small lump on the back the head indicate?

hi my husband has had a small lump on the back of his head the other night he hit his head the other night and now its flattened out
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be a soft tissue swelling. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The lump on the head that flattened out on a minor external head injury is likely to be a small soft tissue swelling like a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma. If there is no pain or discharge fro the site of the lump then there is no need to worry. You can self monitor the area for a few days for any reappearance of the lump. No active treatment is needed right now if there are no symptoms. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What does a small lump on the back the head indicate? 3 hours later
hi he just said the lump has come back and is getting headaches
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Self monitor him. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If the lump is back with headaches then it is best to get him examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately. Meanwhile you can do a hot compress in the area of injury and give him a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards