What does a small and tender cut behind the molar and bottom of chin indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have small (looks like a small cut behind my bottom right back molar) It feels like its cut and really tender, then on the bottom right side of my chin i have a strong bruise feeling. Are my gums just irritated or is it my wisdom teeth coming in?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to wisdom tooth. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The cut that you have noticed and the bruised feeling that you are having can be related to an erupting wisdom tooth. Sometimes the tooth is impacted and causes much pain and swelling of the gums during eruption. It is best to get an X-ray of the area done to see the position of your wisdom tooth. An infection also needs to be ruled out after a direct examination. Right now doing a hot fomentation in the area and taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen after the meals will be helpful. Also try restricting sugar as it is is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function. Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark green leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds. Also take calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes if the swollen gum is caused by sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL