What does a red mark on penis head signify?

Dec 2013

I noticed a red mark on my penis head. It does not itch or burn and it scared me. Can you identify what it is?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide detail with high resolution picture Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for red mark on penile head. I have thoroughly analyzed the pictures but the penile picture ( p6.jpg ) is bit blurred and not as sharp and good resolution as the other picture ( butt.jpg ). I request you to kindly send high resolution pictures of the penile area along with certain important information. I further ask you some relevant information from your side: - since how many days you have this problem. - Have you felt any discharge over the penis head. If yes then is it watery or pus like or whitish. - Any history of unprotected intercourse/ vigorous intercourse/ vigorous masturbation in last few days to weeks. For the other picture ( butt.jpg ) : there is no any abnormality seen. It is the normal picture of the anal area. Do you feel any problem at anal region. If yes then can elaborate the same. "Wish you good health" with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow-up: What does a red mark on penis head signify? 27 minutes later
there is no issue with the anal area at this time. Occasionally a hemorroid after a bowel movement but this doesn't concern me. When the penis is erect and the skin stretches the mark is more visible. when the penis is flacid it is less noticable. There is No pus or discharge of any kind. It does not appear to be an open sore but rather scar tissue that has healed. I don't recall any penis injury. there has been no masturbation but I do have unprotected sex with my girlfriend. Stand by for picture
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Brief Answer: angioma which is quite commonly seen Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your further follow up and sending the important details to help you better. The lesion on penis is basically angioma which is quite commonly seen. This is a simple over proliferation of the small capillaries in the skin. As penile skin is very thin a vascular so whenever there is erection of penis, it can become more prominent. This is totally asymptomatic and never cause any problem. These are quite normal in occurrence in general population after the age of 40 years. As I can see you are young man of 46 years so makes a good correlation with your age. Many a times we see even before 40 and 30 years of age. There may be many similar lesions which can be seen on any of the part of body. These are totally benign lesion and do not have any correlation with any type of sexually transmitted infection. SO do not worry about any possibility of any type of sexually transmitted diseases. There is no need of any treatment. This can persist longer of may disappear by its own. Do not try to pinch or pop the area as can cause bleeding and secondary infection. I hope these information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. "Just enjoy the weekend and the forthcoming new year ahead with best of health and wealth" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)