What does a rash on inner thighs suggest?

Dec 2013

I have this rash on my inner thighs. I had experienced dry skin as well in my private region. The rash on my inner thighs has also started showing bruising. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly send pictures of high resolution Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for rash on inner thighs and dry skin along with bruising f the skin. The history provided by you is too brief to reach to any conclusive point. Even then I can make a tentative diagnosis of "fungal infection" of the groin area. To confirm the same I request you to kindly elaborate your concern so that I can help you better. Kindly tell me certain important points related to your problems: - Since how long you have all these problems. - Does the rash, dry skin and bruising started simultaneously or one after another. It would be best if yo can elaborate all the three problems (rash, dry skin and bruising) individually with the time sequence of their occurrence. - Is there any itching or burning or pain sensation over the same. If so then is it mild/moderate or severe. - Do you feel that these rashes and dry skin appears as map like appearance or all as bruised appearance. It would be best to send few good resolution pictures of areas so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). Hope to hear soon form your side. "With good health wishes" Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology
Follow-up: What does a rash on inner thighs suggest? 13 minutes later
The dryness began around last Friday/Saturday (1/24/2014). The rash/bumps came next and only really began to show Sunday night into Monday morning. The rash does itch, but it's minimal and isn't really constant. The bruises showed up this morning and they're small. As for pain, there really isn't any pain except for sometimes my underwear does irritate a little. The rash/bumbs is more irritating than painful. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to really take/send pictures at the moment.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinea cruris ; Apply antifungal cream Detailed Answer: Hi, As per the description of your problem I can make out your problem as fungal infection of the area. Most commonly this type of fungal infection is known as "Tinea cruris". These are initially dry skin kind of areas which later on can form reddish- brown small to large areas. The areas near thighs and genitals is quite often affected by the same due to high moisture which favors the fungal growth. For the betterment kindly follow the suggestion below: - Keep your self away from extreme of weather conditions. - Take two times bath. - Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. Wearing jeans or tight trousers can often be contributing factor. As soon as you reach home wear lose clothes. - Do cold compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition. - Do not sit continuously for long hours. -You can apply latest anti-fungal creams such as "Clotrimazole" (brand name Canesten or Lotrimin) in a very thin layer for two times a day. -You can take oral anti histamine like loratadine (claritin) two times a day. -Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem. You can follow the above regimen for 3-4 days and if benefit occurs can follow the same for next 10-14 days. Overall it is nothing to be worried about. It is a common condition which we see quite often in our day to day practice. With good hygiene maintenance it can be cured very easily. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: What does a rash on inner thighs suggest? 11 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help!!
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 10 hours later
Brief Answer: maintain good hygiene Detailed Answer: Hello, My all best wishes for the early recovery of teh problem. DO maintain good hygiene to reduce the frequency or further occurrence of the problem. I will be glad to help if you have any further queries or if not then you can close the query and rate the answer. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)