What does a purple bruise on calf indicate?

Hi. While in the shower I noticed a tender muscle on the outside of my calf. There is a dull, black or purple bruise, and pain is very minimal. It feels like a muscle knot, but the fact that it is bruising has me worried. Could this be a harmful blood clot? I do not remember injuring my calf, but I have been working out rather strenuously all week. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blood clot less likely... Detailed Answer: Hi, Serious venous blood clots present with more painful symptoms than bruising. In my opinion this is less likely to be harmful venous blood clot. You most likely may have sustained an injury which went unnoticed. I suggest that you carry on with your regular activities and monitor the pain and bruising say once every hour or two. If the pain and bruise aggravates, consider a visit to the ER. Overall, I am not very concerned about blood clots. So do not panic. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards