What does a pea size blood blister on the shin indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
My son had a small growth on his shin and it recently grew into a pea size blood blister looking thing. Dark blue-black. Thought we could drain it and it blead. It is smaller today and less black. Went to pediatrician and he thinks it is pyrogenic granuloma. My fear was melanoma. Sleepless. Got a dermatologist appt but not for two weeks. Not sure if I can wait that long. I trust my doctor but i saw the thing at its worst. Want it off today if I can. What to do? Since it is in his shin, i don't think granuloma.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs histopathological diagnosis. Detailed Answer: Hi. I can understand your concern and knowing melanoma. I would like to know the duration of a small growth before it converted to a blood blister? It is painful? Is there any lymph node in the groin on the same side? Just for the information melanomas usually do not transform into blood blister sort of swelling which bleeds. I would advise you to consult a Surgeon as he can have a better clinical diagnosis and can excise this swelling in toto and subject for histopathological examination for the exact diagnosis and alleviate your fears. We would be happy to know further progress.

Follow-up: What does a pea size blood blister on the shin indicate? 1 hour later
Ok. No it was not painful. He seemed to have this small spot for a few years. It was just an odd spot. It began to swell into a blister this past few weeks. I shiuld not have popped it but thought it was some kind if pimple. After draining it of blood it looks less dark and more red. I just didn't think pyrogenic granuloma happened on shin area but I guess it could. I wish it was biopsed today and not in 2 weeks.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 8 hours later
Brief Answer: If concerned - surgeon's Consultation & Biopsy Detailed Answer: Hi. Less dark and more redness is a good indication, the chances of sinister complaints are far less now. But just to alleviate fear and not to get late in certain diagnosis, visit a Surgeon who by actually seeing the appearance can tell you what it is and treat accordingly. Regards