What does a painful lump on the belly button indicate?

I woke up and I have pain and a hard lump right where my belly button is . Hurts if I touch it and its sore . This happened over night .The lump is the size of a pea . Feels like its right under the skin.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: See emergency room. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I would want to suppose what you are referring to as the belly button should be your umbilicus, the central node at the centre of the belly. The commonest cause of this is an umbilical hernia. It is possible that this should be an acute umbilical hernia. It is important to get an appropriate evaluation. the presence of pain could imply that part of the intestinal wall might have gotten obstructed. Left untreated, in some rare cases, severe acute death of tissue could occur and could become a surgical emergency. From your description however, this is not the case , not too serious, but the fear is its important to get evaluated for this for it can get complex. I suggest you consult your emergency room physician for a proper review. Thanks and kind regards. Dr Bain. Please, do feel free asking further questions in case of need. I will be glad making any further contributions.