What does a painful lump in around the anus indicate?

General Surgeon
My husband is 79 yrs., he has a very hard round knot, about the size of a walnut,, not inside the rectum, but just "outside" of the anus, very painful. At first I thought it was rectal prolaps, but it does not appear to be coming from inside. I tried gently to push it, which was immovable, & painful. What could this be ? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hemorrhoid. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Can you please provide a picture of it? Such lump is usually a hemorrhoid with blood clot. Due too blood clot presence, it gets painful especially when touching it or passing the stool. Sometimes in such area an abscess can appear due to rectal fistula. Generally if the lump is painful, and its either inflamed hemorrhoid or an abscess, your husband should not wait with it and visit a surgeon. An incision and drain might be necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.