What does a lump on thighs indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXXXXX and I have noticed a lump in my thigh and I was hoping you could give me a background on what it could be before I spend money to go to the doctor. The lump is approx. 2inches in diameter, it's hard and doesn't move, it's 4 inches above the knee. I have no pain at all, but it may be swollen but it's hard to tell. I'm only 15 and I have never had any health problems. I noticed this lump about a month ago and I can't remember how big it was to determine if it has grown. I am not sure if it correlates with the lump, but I have shooting pain that goes through my glutes, all the way to my back and abdomin. The lump is not close to where the pain is. It is also located on the outer left side
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely to be benign lump Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The lump that you describe could be a neurofibroma/lipoma or a bone related lump. A physical examination is definitely worth it as the differentiating features of all the above conditions are through local examination. Do not be concerned. All the aforementioned lumps are benign natured. Neurofibroma / lipoma is basically a lump of fibrous tissue/adipose tissue. It's not cancerous and not harmful. Surgical removal is sometimes needed when there is function impairment or when you develop symptoms. The pain that you are having could be related to the lump. I suggest you to see your doctor for localized examination of the lump. You may plan the necessary procedure after discussing with them. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL