What does a lump in ear indicate?

ENT Specialist
I woke up yesterday with a hard, marble sized lump about a quarter of an inch in from my right ear. It moves around as I open my jaw and is sore and painful to touch. I have no flu-like symptoms to report. Am very healthy and exercise 5+ times a week. What is this?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: can be lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The swelling can be a lymph node. Since the swelling is painful to touch I feel that it is the result of infection. The source of infection can be from the scalp, eyes, tongue or from the ear canal. Many times inspite of the best efforts the source of infection cannot be made out. I suggest you watch it for a couple of days. If the swelling increases in size then you need to see a doctor. You may need a course of antibiotics. Regards, Dr Rajkishori