What does a lump at center of the sternum indicate?

right at the center of the sternum I feel a lump that is new what are possibilities of what it could be I am a CNA and do a lot of lifting also sometimes when I bend over to put on my shoes it actually feels like I get a XXXXXXX horse type cramp in that spot
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be benign. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. This lump which has appeared at the center of sternum can be due to a sebaceous cyst, a lipoma or a benign tumor like osteoma. You should have the relevant investigations done like FNAC, x-ray, blood counts done to know the cause of the lump.The cyst or such swelling may be excised by the orthopedician and you should consult him for the physical examination and treatment. The XXXXXXX horse like cramp in the area can be due to the pressure caused by the lump on the adjoining muscles. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL