What does a large bulge on left aide of abnomen indicate?

Yes, I have a large bulge on left aide of abdomen. Test show just fat but it has gotten very big. no pain or discomfort how important is this to my general health? Have had MS for 35 years with comparable small disability. Thanks for any info. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: Given the location of the bulge and the fact that you were told that this was "fat", then it is most likely a "lipoma" or a fatty tumor. These are invariably benign and of minimal to no concern. I am assuming that this was diagnosed based on an exam AND imaging. If you have not had imaging of the tumor, then a CT scan of the abdomen would be appropriate. Otherwise, these are usually only treated if they are causing symptoms. Also, if it is increasing in size over time, this would be another consideration for its removal. I hope that this has helped you - please ask if you have additional questions.