What does a itchy red rash on face indicate?

Hi, I have a slightly itchy red rash on my face. It has been getting slowly larger over the past months. I had a beard but just shaved it off. I had cellulitus in my leg in the past. I want to make sure it is not that on my face. Can you please identify the rash and rule out cellulitus?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pictures and details Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . I would like to have a look at the exact skin lesion that you are having over your face. Please click some close up pictures of the skin condition and upload them here on this page . You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul . Also please tell what all are you applying over the face. Since when do you have this rash? I am sure I would be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures . Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What does a itchy red rash on face indicate? 2 hours later
I have uploaded new images.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Seborrheic eczema face, not cellulitis Detailed Answer: Hi again I have seen the attached pictures. First of all , I would like to tell you that the skin rash over the face is not surely cellulitis. You are having seborrheic eczema over the face. It is basically an eczematous skin condition due to dandruff of the face. You should avoid application of any irritants over the face like dettol or savlon. Use mild facial cleansers for washing the face. Apply a topical mild steroid cream like cortisone over the affected areas twice a day. Do not apply any other oil or cream over the face. Use an anti dandruff shampoo if you have associated dandruff over the scalp as well. Use a sunscreen when out in the sun since direct sunlight can increase the associated itching. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What does a itchy red rash on face indicate? 8 hours later
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I want to ask you how certain you are this is seborrheic eczema and not facial cellulitis and can you explain to me what differences you see between the two that give you your conclusion? Can you also tell me by what things you see in the photos that are not characteristic of celluitis? I had previously gone to a general practitioner and he declared this as cellulitis. He insisted I take 2 weeks of clindimyiacin. I dont want to do that if I do not have to. I argued with him a bit concerning this. I do not believe this is celluitis myself. This is now why I am consulting you a dermatologist. They know more about skin disorders. I suffered greatly with the cellulitis in my leg and the whole thing has made me extremely nervous. I just want to be 100% sure because celllulitis can get very bad very quickly if treatment is delayed. I learned the hard way about it last year. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Features of seborrhoeic dermatitis face Detailed Answer: Hi again The skin rash that you have is very unlikely to be that of cellulitis face. There are certain specific features of cellulitis over the face . The involved area tend to be localised red raised and painful with a localised rise in temperature . In your case however you have involvement of the hairy areas of the face with red scaly and itchy lesions. Itching is not present in cellulitis , infact pain is the main feature. So the skin lesions that you have are more suggestive of seborrhoeic dermatitis . I would advise you to see a local dermatologist for confirmation of the diagnosis since I would not recommend you to start with oral antibiotics . Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What does a itchy red rash on face indicate? 36 minutes later
Hi, Am I correct to say celluitis is not itchy and the eczema is itchy as a means of identification?also, can I wash face with regular soap? What recommendations do you have for cleansing?
Brief Answer: Use mild face cleansers Detailed Answer: Hi again Yes you are right. Itching is a feature of eczema and not of cellulitis . As far as facial cleansers are concerned, you can use any regular soap or mild face cleanser. Make sure you do not use things like dettol or savlon or cleansers containing any acids. A mild cleanser like cetaphil face cleanser or a mild soap like dove would be good for you. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What does a itchy red rash on face indicate? 21 minutes later
one last question, I notice my skin on face feels very dry and flaky after washing it. Should I use moisturizers? What about oil based products?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Use of oil free moisturizers Detailed Answer: You should start using the cortisone cream as advised. You should use oil free moisturizers as much as possible. You should avoid the oil based ones. Dr Geetika Paul