What does a hard and painful lump on buttocks indicate?

My son is 15 years old and fell of a sofa earlier in the week onto his bottom very awkwardly. He can barely sit without pain killers and now we have noticed a hard lump which is extremely painful to touch to the right of his bum crack in his cheek. We thought it was his coccyx at first but this lump is nowhere near that and is further down his bottom and onto his cheek. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This could be a blood clot! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this fall and the pains your child son is currently experiencing. I understand how troubling this must have been for the entire family. The description of these symptoms is suggestive of a blood collection. When it gets much, it exerts huge pressure on the surrounding tissue leading to sever pains even to the slightest touch. Pain medications alone would not be able to resolve the problem fully. It may require a small incision and drainage to relief the pressure and address the pains. For the above reasons, I will suggest that you seek medical consultation for this lump to be examined. The findings would help guide the various treatment options. A family physician or an ER visit would be enough for this. I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish your son a speedy resolution of symptoms. please, feel free to ask for clarifications or more information if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.