What does a funny mole on leg mean?

i have a funny mole on my leg, which my GP tells me is ok, what do you think about it. I am 53, and healthy. In your reply could you let me know your speciality and where you practise so I can check you out. many thanks
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

I am sorry the picture you had sent me could not be opened ,so if you can send me a picture again I can help you better.You can even send me a close up picture of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY and kindly mention "ATTN Dr.Bharat Chawda" as a subject. Also please reply to this mail saying that you have enclosed a picture.

Since the mole you are saying is not seen by a dermatologist , it is very important to confirm that is it actually a mole or some thing different.

I would also like to know few things which would help me suggest you better.

1) What is the color of the lesion you are describing?

2) Do you have any symptoms like itching or burning?

3) How is the texture of the lesion (smooth, raised or rough)?

4) Is the mole increasing in size very rapidly or do you observe any erratic growth.

A single mole doesn't make any difference , until it changes its color,its texture or its size drastically.Also if you develop any symptoms like itching or irritation then it is of concern. Any of the above changes in a mole in a fair complexion patient, is of concern and should be biopsied to rule out a melanoma.

So at this stage if it is a mole with none of the above symptoms or change in shape or size ,you should not be worried at all.

But to confirm that it is a mole you can consider sending me a picture of the same or consider consulting a dermatologist near by.

I actually practice in India as a consultant dermatologist to a super-specialty hospital .And since you are in UK ,it would be good if you can consult a dermatologist there.

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to give you more firm answer.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr. Bharat Chawda. XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Follow-up: What does a funny mole on leg mean? 16 hours later
thank you for your reply, my mole is a little itchy sometimes, its quite a reddish colour, it does flake a little but I'm not sure if that's because I have itched it slightly.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 7 hours later

Thank you for the reply and the picture.

Its not actually a mole, instead its a cherry angioma. A cherry angioma is a benign growth made up of blood vessels in the skin.

You need not worry about this at all. It is very commonly seen in the trunk and comes with age.

If you google the word cherry angioma in the net, you would be able to see similar pictures as yours.

In case you need a cosmetic treatment of the lesion then you can cauterize the lesion with a cautry machine or a co2 laser or even a PDL laser. Otherwise you can leave the lesion as it is.

Kindly consult a dermatologist who has these facilities.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.