What does a depression in the thumbnail indicate?

I've had a deepening depression in my left thumbnail for about 5 years. It has a slightly greenish tinge; probably a fungus. I've tried a drying agent and it worked for about 3 months but then the depression came back. What next?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please upload an image Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Based on your description, i too agree on the fact that it could be a fungal infection. I would like to be more specific by looking at the lesion. Hence, please do upload an image of the affected nail here on the right side of this query page. I shall have a look and discuss on the same. Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: What does a depression in the thumbnail indicate? 4 hours later
I have added a photo for your review
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Collagen and Keratin supplements Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the image. I had look at the image, I see that there are no fungal colonies anymore. The drying agent you used has worked. The depression in the nail is mainly due to defective nutrition which could be a complication of the fungal infection. Taking supplements like Collagen and Keratin would surely help to maintain health in nails. NEOCELL collagen type 1 and 3 taken 6gms a day in divided doses would serve the purpose. Protein powders like ENSURE contain Keratin as a ingredient. Taking the same is recommended. Regards,