What does a dark patch in a grey background of an ultrasound scan of pelvis and abdomen mean?

I had an ultra sound scan of my pelvis and abdomen. I noticed there was a dark patch in the middle. I've since been to see a gastroenteroligist and am waiting for a ct scan but no one is telling what the dark patch is. i can't sleep with worry. What does a dark patch in a grey backround (belly) mean please?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concern. it is very important to understand that ultrasound technology is a type of technology which requires years of training in order to adequately interpret results.

Let me also we are sure you as well that a dark patch within an ultrasound image is not always representative of a bad finding. Frequently the ultrasound technology has these types of areas commonly seen. The ultrasound probe projects soundwaves around the tissues and a dark patch may just reflect one of your XXXXXXX organs.

I would very much like for you to request the written radiologist report which provides interpretation of the ultrasound images. If you could send a copy of this report to my attention at the following email address: YYYY@YYYY I would be happy to review it and provide you with further feedback. Also if you have a copy of the image which you are referring to you could upload it and send it also to my attention at that email address.

I completely understand your concern regarding the ultrasound and I would like to provide you with some good reassurance here. If you're able to provide me with the information including the ultrasound images or the actual written report of the radiologist dictation this will be very helpful. I suspect the cat scan was ordered in order to further delineate why you might be having the abdominal symptoms and was not necessarily ordered in order to follow up on imaging findings from the ultrasound.

Again I thank you very much for submitting your question. I hope you found some of my thoughts and recommendations to be helpful and informative. I'd look forward to hearing back from you regarding this concern as we work together to provide you with adequate answers.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: What does a dark patch in a grey background of an ultrasound scan of pelvis and abdomen mean? 20 hours later

Thank you so very much. I did get both of the US reports and my mind is at rest. They only show the fatty liver. There was no mention of the patch I saw. I will be patient now. I still have the 'virtual colonoscopy' next week and also am waiting for my appointment for 'endoscopy'.

Although I have pain all over my thorax area, front and back, especially my right side, nothing showed. I think I am surprised as I thought the US report would have given me more information. Your advice was perfect.

Thank you again.

Yours faithfully

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 hours later

Thank you for the followup and update. I am very glad to help you with this and any health concern you may have. One step at a time you will have all of the information together so your doctors can help you work on gradually feeling better and improving your physicl health and mental sense of well being.

All the best,

Dr. Galamaga