What does a bump inside the throat indicate?

ENT Specialist
Hi I put my finger way into the back of my throat past a soft flap and felt a hard bumpy thing. It made me gag. What is this? The bumps on it have me concerned. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: pharyngeal lymphoid aggregates Detailed Answer: hi, What you felt was probabaly lymphoid follicles in the throat. The throat has lymphoid tissue to ward off infections that enter the body through the throat. Recurrent infections of the throat lead to hypertrophy ( enlargement ) of these follicles and they appear like bumps in the back of the throat. Do not worry, see an ENT for confirmation. If you have no symptoms than you can rest easy. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Follow-up: What does a bump inside the throat indicate? 1 hour later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: welcome