What does a brownish bump under the eye indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a slightly raised brownish bump under my right eye. Never noticed it before a few years ago. No changes noted over that time. concerned about melanoma.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: A benign mole. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. I have seen the photos attached. Presence of brownish bump under the eye is a harmless finding. It is an abnormal skin pigmentation spot which is benign in nature and can remain like that for many years. If you are too much concerned about its presence then you can get it removed either surgically or with the help of laser treatment but that is not necessary. You only need to self monitor it (that you are already doing) for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means it needs to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL