What does a PSA level of 6 indicate?

Question
Im 56 yrs old had prostate check down 2 yrs ago it was 3.1 I JUST HAD PSA TEST RESULT 6 SHOULD BE ANY CONCERN OR GET ANOTHER TEST
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prostate Biopsy reqd to exclude Prostate Cancer Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. PSA is a routinely done as a screening test for Prostate Cancer. The upper value of normal range is 5. However, several trials have come out with evidence that it is not a specific test for presence or diagnosis of Prostate Cancer. The test value may be falsely high in several other conditions. Hence, I would recommend that you repeat PSA after 2 months. If it is still found to be more than 5, you should consult a Surgeon who may advise Prostate biopsy. Consult your Surgeon and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion and knows what is the best course of action. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: What does a PSA level of 6 indicate? 9 minutes later
MY DOCTOR SAID GO TO UROLOGIST SEE WHAT HE THINKS WILL HE DO RETEST ALSO WHAT CAUSES LEVELS GO UP ARE THE FALSE AT TIMES LIKE YOU SAID IN ADDITION WHAT SYMPTOMS GO ALONG WITH PROSTATE PROBLEM WHAT LOOK FOR SHOULD BE ALARMED HIGHLY ALSO WHAT PROCEDURE DO THEY DO TO DO BIOPSY ARE YOU CUT ON IM LITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT THIS I THINK FAIRLY HEALTHY FROM MY PHYSICAL I HAD TODAY

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Repeat PSA tests at regular intervals. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Nice hearing back from you. As mentioned earlier, Prostate-specific antigen, or PSA, is a protein produced by cells of the prostate gland. Usually, PSA test along with a digital rectal exam (DRE) are done to test asymptomatic men for prostate cancer. A false-positive test result occurs when a man’s PSA level is elevated but no cancer is actually present. Apart from Prostate Cancer, the most frequent causes for elevation in PSA level are Prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate); benign- non cancerous- prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) (enlargement of the prostate); and, urinary tract infection. Only 25% of men with an elevated PSA level turn out not to have prostate cancer. The symptoms of Prostate enlargement are increased frequency of urination, particularly at nigh, urgency to go to the bathroom, and dribbling of urine. In Prostatitis, one has vague heaviness in the seat area along with symptoms of urinary infection. As you have no symptoms of Prostate conditions, consult your Urologist who will carry out digital rectal examination to see for Prostate enlargement (if any); get your urine examination to rule out/diagnose urinary tract infection; order ultrasound of Prostate; may recommend another PSA test to confirm the original finding. If the PSA level is still high, the doctor may recommend that you continue with PSA tests and DREs at regular intervals to watch for any changes over time. If your PSA level continues to rise or if a suspicious lump is detected during a DRE, you will require a prostate biopsy. Prostate biopsy is a simple procedure, whereby which multiple samples of prostate tissue are collected by inserting hollow needles into the prostate and then withdrawing them. So, in a nutshell, there is nothing to alarmed or nervous at this stage. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal