What does "a 5mm lesion at the foramina Monroe without hydrocephalus" mean?

May 2014

Hi. The report of my MRI brain scan quotes: " a 5mm lesion at the foramina Monroe without hydrocephalus and post-operative gliosis in the right higher frontal cortex, extending to the periventricular region." Previously I had a 1.5 cm cyst removed that caused acute-hydrocephalus. I understand that there is a slight regrowth of 5mm, but what is the significance of the gliosis and it's location? XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. As you have already understood, the 5 mm lesion at the foramen of Monroe can be a regrowth. However not much has been written about it. Regarding the gliosis, it is an area where there is loss of normal brain tissue which is replaced by cerebrospinal fluid. The term post operative gliosis signifies that the area in the right frontal cortex has undergone such change that can be due to post operative scar formation. It is a permanent change in the brain and nothing to worry. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek