What does Vascular ring removed from heart means?

i am 65yrs old and have just been to hospital to have tests. on my referral letter from my doctor i noticed that on MARCH 31ST 1950, when i was just 16mths old i had a VASCULAR RING removed from my heart. this has come as a compleat suprise to me . never been mentioned before by nobody. not even my parents or any family member or any medical person. can you help me by telling me what this procedure was &why . I was born a blue baby with suspected hole in the heart but was later in life was told that was not the case & it was pulmenry stenosis.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: explaining vascular rings Detailed Answer: Hi, I am Dr Saumya Mittal, MD. Though it would be difficult to predict what happened with you, but I will try to explain the query to you. I believe what really has happened is that the doctors in some investigation found something that looked as if the vascular ring was removed. Cause if noone knows, its unlikely that a surgery was done. Vascular ring happens when the AORTA that comes out of the heart to supply blood to the body, turns around the trachea (windpipe) and esophagus (foodpipe) thereby obstructing them- which is why you may have been blue- if you actually had it. What is usually done is the the surgeons make a small cut on the left chest and go in between the ribs to do the internal manipulation. So you should have a scar somewhere on the left side of the chest. If that's not the case, my initial assumption may be right. I hope that answers your query. Do feel free to ask a further query Best of luck Dr Saumya Mittal