What does "Thyroid Stimulating Hormone(TSH) : 2.95 uIU/ml" mean?

Apr 2014

Hello, I have got my blood test on 21.02.2014. It was suggested Thyronormalcy. My report for thyroid is : Total Triiodothyronin(T3) : 116 ng/dl Reference Range: 60-200 Total Thyroxin(T4) : 6 ug/dl Reference Range:4.5-12.0 Thyroid Stimulating Hormone(TSH) : 2.95 uIU/ml Reference Range:0.30-5.5. I am 30 and my weight is 88 kg. I would like to know what the reports means and do I have thyroid problem.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You have absolutely normal thyroid profile. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM You have absolutely normal thyroid profile. 1.Total Triiodothyronin(T3) level is normal.It level is 116 ng/dl,which is within the range. 2.Total Thyroxine(T4) level is 6 ug/dl.It is also within normal limit. 3.Thyroid Stimulating Hormone(TSH) level is 2.95 uIU/ml.It is also within normal limit.TSH is very important in screening of thyroid disorders. In lipid profile,Total cholesterol and LDL level are increased. In liver function tests GGT,SGPT,SGOT are increased.Increased SGPT,GGT indicates liver injury. You may be suffering from dyslipidemia with fatty liver disease. Deposited fat can cause injury to the liver cells. You need proper clinical examination and few more investigations. Other investigations include routine hemogram,RBS(Random blood sugar),Viral markers,Ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. You can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily after food for three months.It helps in regeneration of damaged liver cells.Further need to continue drug depend upon response. You may also need hypolipidemic drugs due to altered lipid profile. Besides medicines your condition also need changing of life style and diet. You should avoid alcohol and smoking if you take. You should increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking etc. You should avoid red meat,high fat milk products,fried and fatty food and should take lot of fibres and fruits in your diet. You will be alright with diet change,exercise and medicines. Vitamin D and B12 level are also decreased.You can take vitamin D supplementation.It is available in XXXXXXX powder form.One XXXXXXX of vitamin D should be taken with warm milk at night (once a week for eight weeks).Then one XXXXXXX should be take once a month for four months .You should also take Vitamin B complex capsules once daily . Other reports like iron level,total iron binding capacity (TIBC) and % Transferrin saturation ,BUN,Serum calcium,uric acid level,creatinine level are within normal limit. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX