What does "Suspected aplastic left frontal sinus" mean?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor - I was recently ordered a Sinus X-Ray by a physician and have received a report. I do not understand the report and would greatly appreciate if you would explain what the report means. The report has following impressions: 1) Mucosal thickening within the maxillary sinuses, left greater than right, without evidence of air-fluid level. 2) Suspected aplastic left frontal sinus. 3) Mild nasal septal deviation to the left. If you need further information to interpret the report, please let me know. Thank you very much for your time and expert advice. Best Regards
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: no abnormality Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, 1) The sinuses are lined with mucosa. You have thickening of the mucosa in your maxillary sinus. It is the sinus inside your cheek bone. Even in mild cold there can be thickening of the mucosa of the sinuses. This finding is not at all significant. Presence of an airfluid level indicates presence of fluid or pus in sinus. You do not have an airfluid level. 2) Frontal sinus is the sinus of the forehead. Size of the frontal sinus can wary to a great extent, your frontal sinus is either very small or does not exist. Nothing to worry. It is normal. 3) The nasal septum divides the nose into right and left. The nasal septum is deviated in majority of people, rarely it is in the centre. Again not a significant finding. From your symptoms it does look like you have sinus infection. Since it has been so long you will do well with an antibiotic, penicillin group of drugs work very well for sinus infections. Please see a doctor for a prescription. You also need a local decongestant like otrivin. Decongestants keep the sinuses open which in turn helps to control infection. Instill three drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 5 days and follow it up with steam. Tiredness and weakness always happen after a viral infection like flu. Do not worry get plenty of rest and drink lots of water you will get better in a week. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Follow-up: What does "Suspected aplastic left frontal sinus" mean? 22 hours later
Hello Doctor - Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I have got few follow-up questions and will greatly appreciate your response. 1) What determines the sinus infection is bacterial or viral? 2) Based on my sinus x-ray report, is my infection mild? Do I really need antibiotic if sinus infection is mild? (I have heard that mild infection is self-resolving) I never had penicillin group of drugs in the past so I'm concerned about allergic reaction and also about the antibiotic resistance. 3) Are there non-penicillin antibiotic alternative for sinus infection? 3) What are the possible complications of the sinus infection? Thanks again for your expert advice. Best Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: antibiotics needed if infection more than 6 days Detailed Answer: Hi. 1) Cannot tell if infcetion is bacterial or viral. Usually starts off as viral infection and by day 6 bacterial infection supervenes. After 6th day culture sensitivity can be done do determine identity of bacteria. 2) Severity of infection is based on clinical signs and symptoms and not on x ray findings. Antibiotics are needed if infection has lasted for more than 6 days. Penicillin group of antibiotics are very safe and most extensively used for upper respiratory tract infection. 3) There are other alternatives but they are not so effective. They are used only if panicillins cannot be used. 4) Sinus infections usually resolve without complication. Rarely pus gets filled inside, eye ball may get affected because of its proximity. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.