What does "Specimen consists of 1. Pale brown piece of tissue..." mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi Doctor My father had severe pain on his thigh since 3 weeks and he has been hospitalized recently and orthopedic doctor did a small surgery and sent tissues for biopsy. Here is the report. Please review and let me know if there is any issue with it. Also please let me know if this is serious problem or can be curable, Nature of Specimen 1. Soft tissue around hip 2. Muscle around hip Gross Featutes of the specimen Specimen consists of 1. Pale vrown piece of tissue measuring 1 cm in diameter. Cut section shows homogeneous pale brown appearance 2. Multiple irregular pale brown pieces of tissue totally measuring 1.5 cm in diameter. Microscopy Sections from both samples of tissues show fibrocollageneous tissue and fibrogatty tissue showing irregular areas of necrois. A dense acute om chronic inflammatory infiltrate in the form of newtrophils, lymphocytes and macrophages is seen. Thin walled capillaries are seen. Features are acute on chronic inflammation Granulation tissue. No granulomas seen No caseation seen There is no evidence of tuberculosis in the tissue sent
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It is not tuberculosis at all. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX pai.m Thanks for writing to us You shouldn't worry.It is not tuberculosis at all. According to the report there are only chronic inflammatory changes which is supported by the presence of inflammatory infiltrate in the form of neutrophils, lymphocytes and macrophages. There is no signs of tuberculosis as there is no caseating lesions. Your father's condition is not serious at all.It can be easily managed with antibiotics and antiinflammatory medicines.Surgical removal of the lesion can be done if needed. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "Specimen consists of 1. Pale brown piece of tissue..." mean? 15 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your reply. I would like to know the reason for this problem. Please let me know on why my father had this problem and reason for it. After the treatment this will not repeat again? regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably route of infection is through blood. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX pai.m Thanks for writing back Probably source of infection is his case is hematogenous spread i,e through blood.There are also other ways of acquiring infection like local cause etc. Most likely after definitive treatment he will not acquire infection again unless his immunity is compromised. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX