What does "Small, homogenous, hypo echoic mass lesion in the fundus measuring 11 X 9mm" mean?

Hi I am writing this in reference to my wife she is 6 weeks pregnant, but during the initial ultrasound the doctor report mentioned "Small, homogenous, hypo echoic mass lesion in the fundus measuring 11 X 9mm". Kindly help me to understand the complications of the same , and if the same can be treated in pregnancy, or does the pregnancy needs to be aborted in order to carry on the treatment for the removal of this lesion, also would like to share with you that this is second pregnancy , the first pregnancy was done via operation.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please review and correlate with clinical findings Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. If the gestation sac has been separately visualized from the lesion, then it needs a review. A repeat sonogram would be needed preferably trans-vaginal and with high resolution to see the exact origin of the lesion. Most often, fibroids can be seen that way. Family history is also very important as regards breast or ovarian malignancy. In such a situation, other tests for tumor markers are necessary. If it is not, and also most likely in this situation, small fibroids may present due to increased perfusion of the uterus during pregnancy; they need observation and interfered with when they pose a threat to the continuation of the pregnancy. Since a myomectomy with pregnancy inside is risky, expectant management is usually followed. Please consult your gynecologist for a clinical correlation and advice. As of now, the lesion is not big and can be monitored with regular sonograms if it is benign. Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.