What does RBBB with LAFB indicate?

EKG showed RBBB with LAFB..I'm 57 and this showed since my original ECG when I was 21 should I be worried
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: bifascicular block Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic IN the heart , there is an ' current' that goes through the heart that allows it to contract. This 'current' is suppose to start at a specific point in the heart called the av node. It is then suppose to travel along a specific pathway to the right and left sides of the heart. The pathway along the right side is called the right bundle branch and the path on the left side of the heart is called the left bundle branch. The left path (left bundle branch) is divided into 3 parts , one of these parts is a left anterior (front) fascicle. RBBB stands for right bundle branch block- block of 'current through the right bundle branch LAFB stands for left anterior fascicular block- block of current' through the left anterior fascicle branch This would be called a bifascicular block because 2 pathways are blocked. It can be caused by hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, ischemic heart disease ( blockage in blood vessels to the heart with chest pain). These heart changes can cause fainting episodes, presyncope (lightheadness, blurred vision, feeling as though you would faint). Some persons experience no complications and others may have problems associated with the block. It is difficult medically to determine who would fall into these categories. Bifascicular block can be unfortunately associated with increased risk of heart problems such as heart attack in some persons. Your doctor,especially if there is a history of fainting episodes may suggest a pace maker. Other aspects of treatment include controlling any risk factors for heart disease (blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, weight). I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What does RBBB with LAFB indicate? 2 hours later
Can this be congenital? It's shown up since my first ECG when I was 20 years old. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer: it is possible Detailed Answer: HI sorry about the late reply There is a possibility of a congenital origin since it has been present for quite a while. This is not the most common cause but it definitely possible since it has been present for a long time. As mentioned, some persons with this type of block may not have any symptoms or complications at all. Please feel free to ask any other questions