Ask a Urologist   »  

What does 'Pus cells-occasional in urine' report mean?

Jul 2016

Pus cells - occasional in urine report means
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: It indicates mild UTI. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your 7 months old daughter has UTI and have been advised to get her routine urine tests done every 15 days. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me making comments on her problem. 1) Does she gets repeated episodes of fever or UTI,? 2) Was there any abnormal findings in her prenatal Ultrasound scanning especially size of the kidney etc. The presence of occasional pus cells indicate mild UTI and needs to be investigated to rule out VU Reflux. Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and further evaluation to find out the cause of getting repeated UTI. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: What does 'Pus cells-occasional in urine' report mean? 25 minutes later
Sir, I have uploaded most of her urine test reports. Please refer test report dated 250613. At that time, she was having mild fever and diagnosed with UTI and treated at hospital at the age of 1.5 months old. During hospitalisation, doctors carried out Ultra-sound of her abdomen. As pe the ultra sound report, all parts including kidney was normal. After that we have carried out urine test in every 7-15 days. Only in the report dated 22.09.2013, she was having pus-cell in the range of 8-10 but not having any sign of fever. We repeat the urine test on 25-09-2013 and the report indicated pus-cell in the range of 0-1. Local doctor did not put the case as UTI at that time. However, the Doctor said to repeat urine test in every 15 days, which we are doing regularly. After the first detection of UTI at the age of 1.5 months old, she was having sign of fever once for common cold. At presenr, she seems to be fine without any sign of fever. In view of the above, please advice further course of action.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems to be UTI Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for feed back.From the history that your narrated it looks likely to be due to UTI. Please keep her under treatment of Paediatrician, If she gets repeated episodes of UTI you may need to do her DMSA scan to rule out VU Reflux . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.