What does "Pt has raised ALT level + reduced platelet count" mean in a blood analysis?

May 2014

Hi, This is Vaibhav. I need to ask my second query regarding my health. I was facing weakness from around 1 month period and due to this I went to NHS services here in UK. Dr suggested blood test for me and today I received my Blood Reports. But Couldn't understand the wordings of report. Could you please help me to understand this report? As per blood report its mentioned 1. "Pt has raised ALT level + reduced platelet count". 2. Also Its mentioned that "Investigations Required: Hepatitis - Chronic Screen". 3. Also Its Mentioned "Investigations Required: Gamma GT (GGT), Liver Profile" 4. "Recent FBC showed Plates = 92" I just need to know about this report, Also I will visit GP as early as possible. But before that need to know how much serious this problem is? Waiting for your reply. Thank you - Vaibhav
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not serious but should not ignore Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. Your results point towards the need for further tests concerning liver functions in detail. 1. ALT is a liver enzyme which is elevated in you. Platelets are blood components which help in clotting mechanism and are reduced. 2. With suspicion of a liver infection (hepatitis) you have been advised testing for chronic hepatitis. 3. GGT and liver profile are important to know more about the functioning of your liver. GGT is a liver specific enzyme and has clinical importance. 4. I suppose your recent blood reports show platelet count of 92000. The normal lower limit is 150000. Decrease in platelets can be seen in many infections and due to t ass king medications. Your condition is not serious but further investigation should not be ignored. Please avoid alcohol and oily or spicy food for some days until you get evaluated and treated. Try meeting your GP within a week. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts.