What does "PTH 171 and calcium level of 10.1" indicate?

my pth was 171 and my calcium was 9.7. mylast calcium was 10,1 i have many symptoms of parathyroidism. Should i worry?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No need to worry as this is treatable Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Your reports do suggest hyperparathyroidism. A few other tests will be required to comfirm the diagnosis, like urine calcium excretion, vitamin D levels, etc. Calcium is also not too high, so other causes like kidney diseases should be ruled out by simple blood tests. You have not mentioned what kind of symptoms you have. If the diagnosis is confirmed as primary hyperparathyroidism and there are symptoms, then surgery is suggested. otherwise medical management is also possible. overall, it is a treatable disorder, so need to worry. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.