What does MRI reports indicate of a person with back pain and burning sensation in spine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Neurologist I already discussed with you regards to my mothers back pain and spine burning sensation till the left leg. I had mentioned about some tests also . The reports are mention below. Please suggest. Mri: small Pid L5-S1 with possible irritation of the left S1 root. Xray: no instability but significant L5 tilt on standing view Blood: All normal; vitD : borderline BMD: T Score lumber spine (-)0.9 Adivse by doctor: Can try root block 1. Medicine : XXXXXXX Galin75 mg twice daily 3 weeks Is the injection suggested by the doctor fine....................
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment suggested seems to be fine. Detailed Answer: Hi Ms XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. Treatment suggested by your doctor seems to be fine. Initially, continue maxgalin (pregabalin) capsules. This may reduce the pain and burning in about 60-65% people. If the symptoms do not subside, then, the epidural injection (nerve root block) may be given. I hope my reply has helped. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: What does MRI reports indicate of a person with back pain and burning sensation in spine? 5 hours later
Hi Doctor, Thanks for your quick reply. My mother has consumed around 30 tabs of Nugaba then 70 tabs of Laryca and then 20 tabs of Dulane in recent two months. She got relief from pain, but still the burning sensation still persists. Now the question is that is this the right time (Lets say by another two days) to go for root block without taking maxgalin, OR shall we wait for few more days and consume maxgalin for those days and then undergo the root block? Is root block is a temporary solution or permanent? Is it safe? What may be the outcome of root block? Please suggest.. Thanks in Advance XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: She can wait for a few days. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. If she is getting better overall, then, we can wait for a few more days. The therapeutic dose of maxgalin (pregabalin) is 150 mg taken two times daily. So, I hope she is on the correct dose. If not, the dose of maxgalin can be changed in consultation with the neurologist. Nerve root block is a safe procedure and there are no complications with that. It offers good relief of symptoms for three months or longer. Some people may require repeated nerve root blocks. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)