What does MRI of hip subcortical degenerative cyst means?

I just turned 50 and seem to be falling apart. I just had an mri due to hip discomfort. They said it is a subcortical degenerative cyst. What is this? I am concerned to say the least and what are the following steps that need to be taken How long does it normally take for a response to a question
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need some more details Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Is it Subcortical or Subchondral or subarticular cyst ? What is the exact location of the cyst ? What part of the body was imaged with MRI? Do you have any symptoms related to the cyst? Do you see any swelling evident outside? Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: What does MRI of hip subcortical degenerative cyst means? 6 hours later
MRI Showed a subcortical degenerative cyst in my right hip. I don't know yet where the exact location is. I have stiffening, popping, loss of range of movement compared to the left side. I don't see any swelling evident from the outside.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 days later
Brief Answer: regular follow up is essential Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the information. Sorry for the delay in my response. A subcortical cyst of the bone is a cyst within the bone marrow just below the plates that form the outer portion of your bones. They are usually not serious and do not cause harm unless big, resulting in pain. They are not cancerous. They are empty spaces just beneath the bone plate and rarely contain any material in the spaces. You may have to regularly follow up the cyst with repeat Xrays to observe weather it has grown. If there is no growth and no symptoms associated with it then there is no need for any intervention. If the cyst grows enough to cause pain and visible swelling to the exterior then you may have to get it removed surgically. Surgery may involves simple removal of cysts and placing a artificial bone graft to fill the defect. Hope, I answered your query. Please let me know if any doubts. Regards,