What does "Left posterolateral disk herniation and associated radial tear at L4-5" mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Left posterolateral disk herniation and associated radial tear at L4-5, Midline posterior disk herniation and associated radial tear L5-S1, neural encroachment at L4-5, there is effacement of the ventral epidural fat. my doctor told me to find surgeon im 47 year old male what does all of this mean, thank you for any answers.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs treatment from orthopedician. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. You are having degenerative disc changes at L4-L5 and L5 - S1 level. There is disc prolapse and herniation at L4-L5 and L5-S1 level with nerve root compression causing the pain and other symptoms. The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. These can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination. Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain. Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles. Signs of worsening of symptoms are- pain causing disability, numbness, weakness, loss of urinary or bowel control. When the symptoms get worse, kindly visit a Spine surgeon for surgical correction. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What does "Left posterolateral disk herniation and associated radial tear at L4-5" mean? 21 minutes later
yeah the doctors have been tring those things for 3 months i l have such extreme pain that i cannot walk and they have told me to see nerusergon, can u explain what surgeon might suggest
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Surgical decompression of the disc. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If the pain is severe and persistent with conservative treatment then neurosurgeon will suggest a surgical decompression of the disc which will remove the nerve compression and thus will reduce the pain. It is best to consult a spine surgeon for surgical treatment. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards