What does "L4-L5 diffused disk bulge impinging on bilateral traversing L5 roots" mean?

Oct 2013

Hello doctor, I have a query regarding my recent MRI scan report. This is the observation. L4-L5 diffused disk bulge impinging on bilateral traversing L5 roots. Can this be explained in detailed please
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: this is called prolapsed intervertebral disc. Detailed Answer: Hello dear XXXX Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX This MRI scan report suggest its due to Prolapsed intervertebral disc or Herniated disk. I am giving you brief insight in to problem and its details. Our human spine is made of several vertebrae, in between these vertebrae there are some cushion like things called Inter vertebral discs. These discs have inner ( nucleous pulposus) and outer ( annulus fibrosis ) parts. When ever there is damage to inner part it undergoes degeneration and displacement pushing outer part in to spinal column that contains nerves and there "nerve roots" that are carried in to legs. When this pushing of spinal structure happens it lead to back pain, sciatica , and neurological abnormality. This interevertebral disc prolapse or herniation is most common in L4 - L5 vertebrae and best investigation is MRI that is already done in your case. Coming to management part there are several ways depending on clinical condition and MRI findings ranging from conservative , medical and various surgical modalities are available. Hope I answered your query in details, If you want any further information on this disorder or its management we will discuss in follow up query. Regards.