What does "Hyperaerated lungs with perihilar interstitial prominence without focal infiltrate" mean?

Question
Just had a chest xray and it said...."Findings:Single view of the chest demonstrates mildly hyperaerated with perihilar interstitial prominence lungs without focal consolidation or effusion." "Impression: Hyperaerated lungs with perihilar interstitial prominence without focal infiltrate". What does that mean?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is nothing to worry about Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Welcome to WWW.WWWW.WW Chest x ray is just a shadow of the lungs, and we can not tell much by shadows. The findings of hyperinflation may be normal for your age, but peri hilar Prominence may be anything from normal to some serious diseases of lungs. Can you post what your symptoms are? If you have mild cough of short duration, you need not be concerned. But if your symptoms date back to few weeks, I strongly recommend you to go for CT SCAN OF THORAX. It will be possible tell the pathology if at all you have some. Please write back with details about your problems so that I can help you further. Awaiting your response. Regards.

Follow-up: What does "Hyperaerated lungs with perihilar interstitial prominence without focal infiltrate" mean? 55 minutes later
So....did you look at the XRay that I attached? Did you see anything on the Xray that wasn't normal? You mentioned getting a CT Scan of the Thorax? What is the Thorax? I was a long time smoker and was worried about COPD, lung cancer or Emphysema also showing on the Xray. They did the xray because they were concerned that I was having a heart attack.....but I didn't have one.

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: your X ray is not suggestive of lung cancer Detailed Answer: XXXX I am sorry, I did not see your x ray earlier, I was referring to the x ray description you gave. Now I saw your X ray, and to me it is perfectly normal for a chronic smoker, which means you have prominent markings of bronchopulmonary tree with some hyperinflation but nothing serious. I do not see any other abnormality in that, even though online visuals can be misleading. You need not be worried about lung cancer as your X ray is not suggestive of it. COPD needs confirmation with pulmonary function tests, which I think is a must to go test for you. COPD (which includes emphysema) is highly manageable provided you quit smoking from the next minute. I wish to say that you do not require CT thorax (thorax means chest; CT shows your lungs with explicit details), as I do not see any thing suspicious in your X Ray. Hope I am clear. Feel free to ask me if you have any doubts. Wishing you good health. Regards.

Follow-up: What does "Hyperaerated lungs with perihilar interstitial prominence without focal infiltrate" mean? 54 minutes later
I am not sure what you mean by "which means you have prominent markings of bronchopulmonary tree with some hyperinflation but nothing serious. " Can you explain that...what are prominent markings of bronchopulmonary tree with some hyperinflation? As I am not a doctor and I do not understand the terminology.

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: your lungs are larger than normal Detailed Answer: hi, "prominent markings of bronchopulmonary tree" means that your airways are a little congested due to heavy smoking ( like plugged with mucus and dust of the smoke) "hyperinflation" means your lungs are larger than normal. it happens because of ineffecient oxygenation due to smoking causes lungs to expand due to alveolar damage, trapping air in severe cases. I wish to say that they do not necessarily mean severe lung damage. They are seen in anybody who has a long history of smoking. I think this time i am clear. Regards.