What does Gasping for air indicate?

5 month dtr. 3 days.ago wakes up gasping for air. Haven't.noticed at night. Nothing else unusual
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 55 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. And please let me know a little more about it. Gasping for air is usually a sign of sleep apnea. It can have many causes like obesity, low thyroid function, chronic bronchitis in smokers, septum deviation in nasal part, enlarged tonsils in adolescents, and many other factors. It is necessary to be treated otherwise it can lead to hypertension and other problems. Let me know about your neck size, your body mass index (height and weight), your age and if you are a man or woman. I am waiting for your answers.
Best wishes.