What does GTTP level indicate and is it affected by bacterial infection?

May 2013
Last month I had a kidney infection from a uti that was not treated. My bloods during that time were all over the place. But I am feeling better after 20 days of cipro. During the infection my GGTP was 9.98. I think it is down now but not sure. What does that test mean and is it affected by bacterial infection?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: liver function tests Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. GGTP is gamma glutamyltransferase or gamma glutamyl transpeptidase. It can be seen in many tissues especially in liver. Estimating the levels of GGTP is used to monitor the function of liver. Normal levels of GGTP in females are 5 to 55 IU/L. Elevated levels can be found in: - Liver diseases, biliary diseases etc. Sometimes high doses ciprofloxacin can affect the liver function. -Cardiovascular disease -Intake of drugs like barbiturates, phenytoin, aspirin, NSAIDS etc. So, if your GGTP levels are within normal range now, no need to worry. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.