What does "Few fibrotic striations seen in the posterior segment of the upper lobe blocking the air passage" mean?

Pulmonologist
Question
I had TB some 20 years ago. My xrays current show no abnomality . There is never any mention of tb scars. I did a ct chest ti check if scars are detected. The finding is as follows Few fibrotic striations seen in the posterior segment of the upper lobe blocking the air passage What does this mean - are the scars still there however only visible on ct but not on xray
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, few fibrotic strands may be visible on ct che Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Yes you are right, few scars in the form of fibrotic strands are still present which are visible only on CT chest. This happens at times as ct is a better diagnostic modality as compared to xray and may reveal findings which are not visualized on x ray. However, you need not worry as you have no symptoms and don`t seem to have active disease.

Follow-up: What does "Few fibrotic striations seen in the posterior segment of the upper lobe blocking the air passage" mean? 1 hour later
Yes the CT rules out any evidence of active disease- xray for the last few years have been normal so are there any chances of such fibrotic stands becoming visible in the future. The readon i ask is because i dont plan to declare this disease in the future Another question us with regards to the actual disease- i honestly dont know if i had active tb or whether the doctor had given me sone preventive medication - do these fibrotic strands mean i had active tb. I was very young when all this happened hence dont remember abything of the diagnosis

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is unlikely to come up on xray at a later date. Detailed Answer: If the fibrosis is not visible on x ray, it is unlikely that it will come up at a later date on x ray but may be visible on ct chest as is the case now. Since you have fibrosis you may have had the lesion and it may have been active as your doctor decided to treat you with anti tb drugs.

Follow-up: What does "Few fibrotic striations seen in the posterior segment of the upper lobe blocking the air passage" mean? 2 hours later
Thanks

Brief Answer: Take care. Detailed Answer: Thank you.